Blog of Berg (Neil)

Saturday, November 26, 2005


Brady beat Sal and me in Wizard. It is a card game...like Euchre sort of, but much more thought-provoking. Last night, Casey, Sal, Randy and I were at Brady's and had a good time chatting, beating up the Big Fish, Lil' Fish (note the spelling) deck and playing Betrayal at House on the Hill (this is a fun game).

Plans are finalized! The rental place does noon to noon rentals only, so I have the truck Friday at noon to saturday at noon. This forces me to do Friday off of work and I will spend most of the day moving stuff on my own (though if you can POSSIBLY help...even after work, I would REALLY REALLY appreciate it). I have the super-heavy-duty appliance dolly with the stair-roller-thingys so we can do the washer, dryer, and anything else that may look heavy. I suppose it would be most responsible to say that we are meeting at the apartment at 8:30 on Saturday and we will move until 11:45 with the truck. That should give us plenty of time to get the stuff we need the truck for. Most of the little stuff can be gotten either way. Then we do the move stuff around the house thing and then Anne and the baby shower crew come to our house and we have a big party with movers and baby-ers.

Baby name guidelines:
1. Unambiguously female
2. Unambiguously spelled (if you cannot guess it on the first try, it is no good)
3. Cannot have "Anne" in it, because we don't want to play the "Big Anne, Lil' Anne" game.
4. Must not be on the list of most popular 100 names. We don't want her to have a name that everyone else has.
5. Must be transferrable into other languages with a minimum of problems. This is a loose requirement and I am not even sure of exactly what it means, other than I don't want our daughter to have a name (like mine) that is ineffable in Africa (well...Ghana, at least) and Spanish-speaking countries.
Those are the guidelines...now get those comments out there with baby names! Feel very free to post whatever names you want to, these are just fuzzy guidelines. The more names the better!

8 Comments:

  • How about Leslie or Frances?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/26/2005 3:33 PM  

  • Neil...I was totally planning on helping with the move. Randy & I have prior commitments for Friday though...sorry. We'll be roaming around the museum in fun clothes...I get to wear puffy sleves even! How fun is that?!

    Start packing though. I've heard stories about moving grocery bags of stuff...doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun to me. Boxes would be great!

    By Blogger Ruth, at 11/26/2005 6:40 PM  

  • I promise boxes...this is easy to promise because we have several dozen already packed in the garage. The problem with the last move was that we had no where to put the boxes...this time we have space and stuff. Anyways, Mr. Brown had a hide-a bed, and we have a futon...so we all have our little moving issues.

    See you Saturday morning then, Ruth! You are our hero (with puffy sleeves).

    By Blogger Neil, at 11/26/2005 7:49 PM  

  • Is Adele unambiguously female??? I hope so :)
    Good luck with the move!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/27/2005 7:12 PM  

  • Adele is a cool name...so are Adell, Adelle, and Edelle.

    Anne and I are kind of looking more at "A" names than other starting letters.

    What do people think of "Gretchen"?

    By Blogger Neil, at 11/27/2005 10:32 PM  

  • Hmm, there's Carla, of course. :)

    Others would be:
    Evelyn, which used to be a guy's name back in the day but now is pretty much female;
    Musical names, such as Harmony, Melody, etc. (Although maybe you should save those in case you have twins next time!); or
    Marlene (Arlene as a variation), which is my mom's name and never gets used anymore. You could spell is Marlena to give it that European flair. :)

    By Blogger EostreEgg, at 11/27/2005 10:40 PM  

  • I like Gretchen. Very Deutsch!
    I love the name Eva. Or Emma, but that might be too popular.
    Going with "A" names is a good idea, as they're my favorites! :) Here's a few: Adrian, Amelia (Bedelia!), Antonia, Astrid, Aurora, Angelina, August, Autumn, April, ummm May, Spring, Winter :) Ok, I'm done for now. I love names!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/29/2005 6:57 PM  

  • I think Gretchen is a pretty name. I think it's German as well.

    By Blogger BG Curator, at 11/30/2005 11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home