Blog of Berg (Neil)

Friday, October 14, 2005


Apple-picking from last week.

We offered on a house, but it was rejected. More on this later. I am getting serious about the numbers (well, we have been for a while...but it is coming down to the wire). An amazing thing is happening. Interest rates go up and people still think their houses are worth what they were when rates were 4.25%! When those rates go up, prices go down. They almost HAVE to. Perrysburg sellers don't seem to be able to accept that much. They wait until they have to sell at a loss because they are covering the expenses from waiting. No one wins! They are content to let the houses sit vacant. I hope we have a winner here, but that all depends on price...don't most complex purchases do that?

Anne is at the National Youth Workers conference now and will be back in a few days. I wish I could be with her a lot.

Work has been interesting. I worked really late two days but we had a "mini-golf" day today, so no one did work. The idea is that each department makes a mini-golf hole and then prizes are given for creativity and such. My team spent a good 2 hours yesterday and another hour or two today making ours...it was a Rube Goldberg-like hole that involved a K-NEX rollercoaster. You cannot argue with getting to do K-NEX at work. Other teams put in massive hours and effort, but they had incredible holes. One team had a Hummer replica. Another had a pneumatic cannon that was used for a pirate theme. You shot your ball at a ship instead of putting. It was a fun idea, but I hate to think of the loss of productivity we had. Good thing I don't get paid to care about that stuff. On that note, my work has been going pretty well! It is a good feeling to make a client happy with your work.

Man, this house thing is really getting me unsettled...Anne too, of course. I have been in a really weird mood since putting an offer in...sort of spacey.

3 Comments:

  • Work can be pretty cool... It completely understand the satisfaction you get from making a client happy. I have felt that since my clients were customers at Best Buy, and all they wanted was a new TV. I got a lot of satisfaction out of helping people find what they wanted. Now, more than ever, being that I support a business critical application for large (and some small)companies, I get a strong sense of satisfaction.

    Sorry to hear about the house, eh. Did you counter-offer on the house you emailed me about? It would be cool/weird if you got that house.... you know.. being that it is directly around the corner from where Anne grew up... and Brady's family.... eh, whatever.. I'll admit it.. as soon as you have a house for me to envy, I will. I have a very strong desire to quit throughing my money at a lease.

    See you tonight man, have a good day.

    By Blogger Casey, at 10/15/2005 9:45 AM  

  • The loss of productivity isn't anywhere near as important as having fun at work, working with other members of the department, and being impressed with what other employees/departments can do. Sounds like you had a good time and were impressed by some of the other projects.

    Besides the lack of productivity can't be too much less than the amount of time people spend goofing off or dazed out, right? (Assuming people don't goof off in addition to playing with K-NEX at work)

    Wow, I just woke up. If what I said doesn't make sense you should take a nap.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/15/2005 12:42 PM  

  • Yeah. I love the fun stuff we have at work. We had a soccer game/barbeque in the summer and it made the community a lot closer. Mini-golf was cool, but nothing makes people closer than a meal and a fun game.

    Not that I have my head in anything now other than houses...

    Nothing to envy--it is just a solid and functional house.
    I take that back...because you are the graceful Barishnikov of Perrysburg, you will appreciate this: It has a ballet studio (finished walls, drop ceiling with florescents, bar, & raised wood floor) in the basement. This studio also contains a wall mirror that you can use to check out yourself in a tutu. Every house has its quirks...

    By Blogger Neil, at 10/15/2005 3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home