Blog of Berg (Neil)

Thursday, September 15, 2005


Happy photo!

Let's see. Work is going well. I am now doing a lot of "clustering," which is a fancy and really confusing way of trying to figure out who people are by putting them into optimally-different groups. I am getting to be pretty good at it...and it is an art form, what with all of the recodings one has to do. For instance, 99 people buy a small car. You want to figure out who they are. I break them into 3 groups based upon criteria that we think matter. These are filtered a million ways and entered into a stupidly confusing equation and then we have 3 groups that are able to be "profiled." So there might be one group of soccer mom-types, another of young people who bought for value, and another who like to race them. Anyway, it takes forever to do but can yield decently interesting and useful results.

I have been carpooling with Melissa, the BGSU grad student who I knew at Maritz prior to starting work. She lives 3 blocks away from our apartment. I like carpooling. It makes the drive better and really does a lot for sociability--you know, it is a lot nicer than jumping from home to computer screen at work.

The baby is kicking Anne a lot. I can barely feel it, but apparently it is more noticable if it is kicking from inside your own body. Who'da guessed?

Rich is getting me back my dissertation draft and I am trying to keep up with it so it can go out to the committee soon and I can defend and be done with it.

That's all the news from Lake Wobegone for right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home