Blog of Berg (Neil)

Monday, August 29, 2005


That is my arm--self portrait in the mirror. I start tomorrow at a major "American" manufacturer of automobiles (to be discreet). I am easing into a contracted analyst position there. So...a big drive means a bit of wear on the ol 1990 civic si. So I finally got a new distributor, got a decent (but not extravagent)JVC MP3/cd player replacement for the tape deck (I can get in 91.7 now!) and I FINALLY got rear trailing arm bushings. These are the parts in the rubber parts in the suspension of the car that encapsulate meeting points that would otherwise be metal-on-metal. Mine were REALLY gone. For Casey: the pin pulled out with my hand--one side required no wiggling, but the other did.

Thus far in the project, I have learned a lot about torches--including buying a MAPP torch (like propane, only much hotter) and bought a fire extinguisher (not coincidentally). One side is done and the other is about to be torched/cut out. Oh yeah, I also learned that nothing is quite as useful as a GOOD utility knife for removing flaming rubber. And those dust mask thingys really do help. Oh yeah. That stuff on my arm is the burnt rubber that I was rolling around in! Yay!

4 Comments:

  • Why do mechanics wear long sleeves even in hot weather?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/29/2005 10:05 PM  

  • Is it because they like protection from flaming rubber hitting their bare arms?
    Or because they like their shirts being ignited by the flaming rubber?

    One of those has GOT to be right!

    By Blogger Neil, at 8/30/2005 5:46 PM  

  • If you think Neil's arm is bad, you should see his Butt!


    -Saranga

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/02/2005 3:15 PM  

  • Oh I've seen it. And I like it!


    bobb

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/04/2005 12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home