Blog of Berg (Neil)

Monday, August 22, 2005


Here is the new coffee roaster. I have been using it for months, but it is better than ever because I modified it over the weekend a little. The gem is the one on the left of the picture. It is a WestBend "Poppery" air air popcorn popper from the 80s. These things have a cult-like following among coffee roasters. If they are the Caddy of roasters, then I just pimped mine out.

The first thing I had to do was raise the thermostat temperature by backing the thermostat screw out a bit. It did not get nearly hot enough for a good roast. Then I split the power into two parts: fan motor and heat coil. Each is on one plug, but that is because it was the fast and easy things to do. The heat coil is hooked through the switch into the wall. The fan is hooked in through an X10 lamp dimmer module, so I can control the fan speed. This adds a ton of control to the roasting process. You need a lot of air at the beginning of the roast when the beans are dense...and they need time to dry out before the temperature gets really high. Toward the end of the roast, the beans are large and light, having expanded and lost their moisture--and they should be exposed to a higher temperature than at the beginning. So decreasing the fan speed once the beans are mid-roast is a big help. Anyway, independent control of the fan and heat rocks.

Stop by for some coffee. I am really excited about using the machine, but I am overcaffeinated!

6 Comments:

  • Interesting contraption, Inspector Gadget. Hope it is not a fire hazzard. Perhaps you should share this with your landlord....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/23/2005 10:47 PM  

  • This post made me laugh, especially the overcaffeinated part :) Thanks for the smile, I needed one!

    By Blogger E-Speed, at 8/24/2005 10:40 AM  

  • That looks nice and safe, especially with a little one on the way...maybe you could find a way to plug a few more things into that outlet? Maybe a hairdryer or something? And maybe you could modify the hairdryer as well, so that it dryed hair faster?

    By Blogger BG Curator, at 8/24/2005 12:52 PM  

  • Mmmmm, coffee. More power to you for figuring this out :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/24/2005 7:50 PM  

  • For your information, Mr. Brown, the circuit breaker trips long before the fires can start! Yes, I found this out by doing it. This is the kind of logic I would expect from a guy who uses his poppery(2) to make popcorn!

    You should get some coffee. I will let you run out the garage door when the outlet bursts into flames.
    I think I will put up a little how-to on my website so other nuts can modify their popper like this.

    By Blogger Neil, at 8/24/2005 8:12 PM  

  • Safety or coffee? Which should be a priority? That's not even a fair question - coffee...duh!

    And Neil, by the way, the coffee I had at that get together before Casey left us was some damn fine coffee! You sir are even more of a coffee snob than I am. Take pride in it!

    By Blogger Ruth, at 8/24/2005 8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home