Blog of Berg (Neil)

Friday, December 17, 2004

Job call.


Anne as an intense violin player--from the X-mas party.

I got the job offer call this morning. Of course, life could not be just as easy as that. No, the offer had to be for a far lower salary than anyone would consider reasonable. Man. I really want to work there, but the salary is almost insultingly low for a person with a (soon-to-be-attained) PhD. I wish I had a more complete story about the way advancement works so I could factor in the fact that I would get a raise soon. All I know is that they do "merit raises." But I assume that I would get a "new title" raise before I would see that (because merit raises are only awarded once a year). Argh. I guess I will go ahead with my interview at NFO as well as checking in on getting an interview with yet another market research company that seemed interested in me. Stupid money. I guess I had better worry about it now. If Anne and I are ever going to get a house and have a family and stuff, it starts with having a good enough job to attain a significant amount of money to do so. I add this point because I feel greedy and I am not sure why. It is not like I want to buy a boat. It is not like I am going to get rid of my 1990-mobile with 191k so I can get a new flashy car. I guess that is why I feel so anxious about the whole thing. Money is not supposed to be important to me, but appears as if it has to be I don't want it to control me, but it may influence my job choice. Maybe I'll just be a monk. But even monks get some sort of funding, right?

On the good side of life, I just looked at my dissertation data. They look GREAT. At least my last experiment worth of data does. I will have to post some of the neato graphs sometime.

Now to stop thinking about that money junk and to have a good relaxing evening with Annie. All of this--and I am kind of tired from hockey this morning. Man, I have to get windshield wiper fluid that works in the cold--and air filter cleaner.
And new hockey gloves. My 10-to-12-year-old gloves have finally ripped to the point of not having any leather covering on about 50% of my left hand. Might as well get the second blade sharpening this year while I am at it.

5 Comments:

  • How low was it? Do you know how much PhDs in your field are really supposed to make? Are you sure you're not getting worked up over nothing?

    Don't lose a good opportunity. If it is one...

    - Sal

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/18/2004 8:05 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger BG Curator, at 12/18/2004 10:37 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger BG Curator, at 12/18/2004 10:45 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Neil, at 12/18/2004 6:03 PM  

  • There are other aspects besides compensation. Job satisifaction, environment, enjoyment of work, opportunity for advancement, etc. What about these aspects?

    By Blogger BG Curator, at 12/18/2004 11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home