Blog of Berg (Neil)

Sunday, July 17, 2005


I hope this came through with decent resolution. I played a little with Google Earth and NASA World Wind and I am amazed. They are free, too. They both involve a globe that you manipulate using an interface that is decently easy to use (mainly the mouse). From there, you zoom in and out. You can load different maps which have different resolutions and colors. This picture is of the court I grew up on in Perrysburg in World Wind's highest-resolution B&W map. World Wind even had the small villages Anne and I remember from Bali and Honduras, though I have not found the village I stayed at in Ghana (yet).
If you are geeky or if you like geography AT ALL, you should immediately get these programs. Be prepared for some waiting when the maps are loading, but they are worth waiting for.

In other news, work was pretty cool this past Friday. We had a half day off to have a summer-oriented picnic outside (catered barbeque...and it was good stuff). Unfortunately, it stormed like crazy until 1:30 or so. After eating, the rain let up and we played some soccer. We all sweat completely through our clothes (it was a bit humid) and then I went home early and slept a lot. I am still recovering from not sleeping in Mexico, I think. Last week was not as restful as I had hoped it would be.

Brady is in town this weekend. I saw him briefly yesterday and we played a few minutes of a new fish-themed Brady-invented card game. Possible hang-out tonight...?

4 Comments:

  • How old are the pictures? Looks like Shawnee Trace has not been built across I-75.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/17/2005 9:13 PM  

  • Good question.
    I noticed that the "crossroads" were not there either--so good catch. They must be quite a few years old. It is weird to see things they way they were before all of the newest developments were built.

    I have no idea though. I assume that it would depend upon what part of the country or world you are viewing.

    By Blogger Neil, at 7/17/2005 10:53 PM  

  • I just checked this out, Suhweet!

    Maybe the pictures aren't all from the same time.

    It looks like they are pretty up to date for Chagrin Falls because the house that was built near davids rents in the past year is there...

    By Blogger E-Speed, at 7/27/2005 12:51 PM  

  • Hey, I can see my house!

    -daryl

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/31/2005 7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home